Looking for new ways to grow your association’s revenue?
Here are the secrets for using an online job board to drive an ongoing stream of non-dues revenue for your association.
By Caitlin Hustrulid, Marketing Manager, Community Brands
Association industry research shows that finances are a top challenge facing associations today.
But here’s something you might not have considered: One of the most effective money-makers for associations are online job boards.
An online job board can be a great source of funds when you need to boost non-dues revenue for your association. It allows you to provide employers in your industry with a pool of highly qualified job candidates (your members and other job seekers in your industry or profession) – something employers are willing to pay for.
You might not think you have the time and resources needed to pull off a successful online job board. But with the right tools and approaches, even associations with small staffs can launch and manage a job board that drives much-needed funds.
Here are 6 tips for using an online job board to drive an ongoing stream of non-dues revenue for your association:
1) Put the right job board software in place.
Of course, before you start driving money from an online job board, you need the job board in place. To make your association’s job board stand out from others, look for job board software that:
- Is designed for associations so that it better supports your members
- Allows your job-seeking members and prospective members to easily search and apply for relevant job opportunities
- Allows employers to easily post job openings and screen candidates
TIP: YM Careers job board software by Community Brands is designed for niche career centers, versus general career centers. This makes it much easier for job seekers to connect with companies who are hiring in your industry and for employers to access highly qualified candidates (your members and potential members).
2) Drive job board posting sales.
Showcase your job board to the employers who need it. Here are three main components you’ll need to sell job board postings:
- Outreach – Reach out to employers who have relevant job opportunities that are not yet on your job board.
- Messaging – Explain clearly why employers should use your job board to access the hard-to-find and high-quality talent they’re seeking. It can be helpful to create materials for employers, such as media kits, rate cards, and videos, to provide added information.
- Sales – Help employers to choose the right combination of job postings, ads, and other products to further promote their job opportunities.
TIP: With a small staff, you might not have the time or expertise to manage job board sales and marketing. No problem: YM Careers has experienced sales and marketing teams that can help you drive traffic to and revenue from your job board.
3) Add job postings to sponsorship packages.
Add a select number of job postings as a benefit to your organization’s sponsorship packages. This will give companies a taste of the benefits of posting job openings on your job board and encourage them to come back for more.
4) Give employers options to get their job postings in front of more people.
Here are some ideas for giving employers the opportunity to highlight their job openings with more job seekers:
- Featured jobs emails – Automatically send featured job posting to relevant job seekers via email. Employers will often pay extra to include their job openings in this email.
- Job widgets – Place a widget on the home page or other high-traffic pages of your website that spotlights select jobs. This approach helps to attract the attention of candidates. Much like the featured jobs emails, employers are often willing to pay extra to reach candidates through this extra exposure to their job listings.
- Social media – Offer employers the opportunity to have their job openings highlighted via your social media channels.
TIP: YM Careers can produce and send Job Flash™ emails to your association’s members and job seekers. These emails drive engagement with job candidates and generate more revenue for your organization.
5) Re-engage employers.
Pull a list of employers from your association management software (AMS) who have posted job opportunities in your career center in the past. Send them a coupon for a free or discounted future job posting to re-engage them and drive more revenue.
TIP: YM Careers job board software integrates with YourMembership AMS so that you can easily view and use information from your job board to generate more non-dues revenue.
6) Offer other recruitment opportunities.
Employers will jump at the chance to connect with job candidates in new ways. For example, offer:
- Career fairs (virtual and in-person) to give employers direct access to your job-seeking members
- Recruitment guides that can include relevant career development articles and resources for your members, plus paid ads from employers looking to hire your members
TIP: The YM Careers team can tailor a career fair to fit your needs. YM Careers can also produce recruitment guides – including everything from sales and marketing to production and distribution – for your association.
So, now you have the secrets!
An online job board can give you many ways to drive more revenue for your association. Using an online career center with a modern AMS system can also help your association improve member engagement and retention while boosting revenue – helping your entire association grow.