April 17th, 2012 | Posted in Membership Management
We all have financial goals to obtain, be it membership goals, sales goals, event ticket goals or any other. But knowing what you want to sell from a dollar/revenue standpoint is not the same thing as developing the strategy behind it.
If I decide I want to go on a cruise around the world next March, knowing how much it will cost is only part of figuring out how I will get there. Think of the cost of the trip as your sales goal. It’s not enough to know the amount. If I don’t implement a plan on how I will save for it, how I will get to port and what I will bring, I will probably not be taking that trip. To reach your revenue goals you must also have a strategy. Read the rest of this entry »
September 12th, 2011 | Posted in Membership Management
This post was written by Jennifer Miller and was originally published at the Creative Services Blog.
In the iconic sports movie, Jerry Maguire, our hero embarks on an unexpected business adventure and strikes out on his own after being fired. Unfortunately, none of his clients follow except one high-maintenance, NFL prospect by the name of Rod Tidwell. Rod proclaims he will stay with Jerry’s representation with one caveat. Rod says, “That’s what I’m gonna do for you: God bless you, Jerry. But this is what you gonna do for me. You listenin’, Jerry? I wanna make sure you’re ready, brother. Here it is: Show me the money. Oh-ho-ho! SHOW! ME! THE! Money.”
Like a great sports agent, your website is working night and day for you. Your site is your touchstone to your target market/community, your brand and a great way to communicate information. However, at the end of the day, is it showing you the money? If not, it’s time to monetize your website. Like the poster in the locker room in Jerry Maguire, “dig the well before the water is dry.”
What can you do?
How To Make Your Site Work For You
- Sell ads! You have a unique, valuable, attentive audience. As a nonprofit or association, you have a niche audience that many companies would love to connect with. Think of all the value your members bring to the table. This is a great non dues revenue stream for your organization.
- Have a donation link! If you are an association or nonprofit, add the link “donate now.” Make it easy, painless and convenient to donate through your site. If you make it easy, many people will.
- Membership benefits calculator! Remind your members how much membership helps them out personally or professionally. From publications, to discounts to CE credit training, you can give your members clear metrics on what they gain by joining or renewing their membership.
- Career Center! You have a unique association membership. What a perfect place to find viable job candidates. Companies look to your organization to hire professionals. Let them find your members who are looking for jobs.
- Sell sponsorships. Many companies and organizations are looking to partner with you. They want to reach your members and sponsor your fundraising efforts.
With a few tweaks here and there, your site can help you make money with less stress.
Jennifer Miller is the Senior Advertising Account Executive for Affiniscape’s Career Center. She loves to help associations enhance and improve their website by focusing on your goals and priorities. She loves the outdoors and enjoys running, hiking and tae kwon do where she is working on earning her second degree black belt. She is active in the nonprofit community serving on the board of Candlelight Ranch and a member of Therapy Pet Pals.